Focus on the details by making matches of parts to whole.
You will need:
- Color printing
To prepare the activity:
- Download, print, laminate and cut Parts of a Whole, A , Parts of Whole, B , Parts of Whole, C , Parts of Whole, D
- Due to the nature of high resolution photos, the full set is divided as four separate files. Download all for the complete set of Brachot prints.
- Set cards out in basket
Ready to work!
- Invite children to math center
- Introduce children to concept of whole and part
- Set a base for understanding numeracy part and whole by exploring the concept of object part and whole
- Invite children to look through cards to familiarize themselves with zoomed in images
- Set up cards as memory board, cards face down
- The complete set consists of 72 pairs of matches
- Set up play as per ability, ie, begin with 16-20 pairs, and increase challenge as children master
- Introduce cards of one Bracha, select a few pairs from each Bracha… shake it up!
- Teach memory rules
- Player 1 begins play – turn over 2 cards
- Caution all players to note position of cards on board
- If cards are a match – a pair of whole and part, player keeps cards, and plays another turn
- If cards are not a match, turn cards back to face down position
- Play moves to Player 2
- Play continues until all pairs are matched
THIS ACTIVITY BUILDS SKILL IN THE FOLLOWING AREAS:
Understanding parts and whole
Understanding rules of play
Exhibiting good sportsmanship